Tuesday, January 13, 2004

 
Jonathan Chait's Diary of a Dean-o-Phobe is a really handy resource for folks like me who have deep misgivings about the man from Vermont. Recently, he cited a story in the Boston Globe that sounds like vintage Dean.

Responding to a Republican questioner near Iowa, Dean went into high form:


    Ungerer called on the Democrats to heed the biblical maxim of "love thy neighbor," adding: "Please tone down the garbage, the mean-mouthing, of tearing down your neighbor, and being so pompous."

    Dean, who listened quietly, immediately replied, "George Bush is not my neighbor." When Ungerer tried to interrupt, the former governor shouted: "You sit down! You had your say, and now I'm going to have my say."


Can't say I'm looking forward to the town meeting debate versus Bush (though there's a gathering hope that the Dems may not nominate this guy). Dean just doesn't strike me as having the temperament of a successful candidate, or the temperament of a successful president. He may be an improvement on Bush, but I'm not the one he needs to convince.

(Faithful readers will recall that I critiqued Chait's piece in defense of Bush hatred some months back. I like his current profiling of Dean because he isn't really reveling in it - his critiques are fairly incisive and restrained.)


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?